Glass pebble/ tile magnet Tutorial
This tutorial is how to make homemade glass pebble (or glass tile) magnets. Basically any shape or size of glass pebble or shape will work as long as there is one flat side to it.
What you need:
– glass pebbles or tiles
– Claudine Hellmuth Studio Multi Medium in Gloss (mod podge or silicon clear rubber sealer will also work)
– foam brush
– small magnets
– craft knife
– tiny photos or patterned paper
1. Find (or print) some photos that are the right size for your tiles and pebbles
2. Brush on a coat of the medium to cover the entire flat side of the tile.
3. Immeadiately stick the tile to the photo
4. Smooth the backside of the photo out using a craft spatula. Make sure you get all the air bubbles out.
5. If using small pebbles, cut some small squares of patterned paper or small photos if you have some printed that tiny.
6. Using the same process as above, stick the pebble to the photo or paper. You will most likely not need to smooth out the back of the photo in these ones.
7. Let them dry for as long as you can, (overnight is best), then trim the excess paper off from the edges. Finish off with a craft knife
8. Use a sanding sponge to smooth off all the edges.
9. Put a blob of medium (or you can use a hot glue gun) on the back of the tile and push a magnet into it.
10. for the smaller pebbles, trim the paper off the edges and sand if you wish
11. Use a smaller amount of medium (or glue) and stick the magnet to the back of the pebble
Sep 18, 2011 @ 18:28:35
Thank you for sharing! I sell digital collage sheets for scrapbooking and jewelry making http://www.karisagraphic.etsy.com but I never know how to make them.
Oct 19, 2011 @ 23:19:22
Thank you for this great tutorial! Where did you find the pebbles and the tiles?
Nov 12, 2011 @ 20:13:09
Love the glass tiles and want to start a project for a Christmas gift. Where did you find the glass tiles? I have only had time to check AC Moore?
Jan 07, 2012 @ 02:55:31
[…] 8. Glass pebble/ tile magnets […]
Frugal DIY: Make your Own Glass Photo Magnets
Jan 13, 2012 @ 13:16:41
[…] heading to college. I know my kids would love some homemade magnets for their marker boards. Head on over HERE to learn how easy and frugal this really is. Do you have a frugal DIY project that you would like […]
Mar 26, 2012 @ 18:15:53
Where do you get the sanding sponger? Michaels didnt have them or even know what I was talking about.
Oct 27, 2012 @ 19:50:03
Ah, where do you find the tiles? I’m going to make these for Thanksgiving place settings. I’m going to put thanksgiving themed paper on the back of the tiles and once they dry, write their name in paint on the front.
Jan 25, 2013 @ 19:14:25
You can get the sanding sponges at any hardware store, home depot, menards, or the painting department in Walmart, target, etc.
I got my tiles from an art supply company, but if you search online, you’ll probably find the best price. They are 2 x 2 inches in size – glass tiles.
Decorate Your Fridge With These DIY Glass Pebble Magnets « Canadian Family
May 29, 2013 @ 13:59:43
[…] find the full tutorial for these glass pebble magnets over on the Outstanding Mini Albums website. Check your local dollar store for scrapbook paper, […]